Tip of the Month by Denise
Outdoor pool areas, whether grand or small, require some careful consideration when it comes to furniture and accessories.
Here are tips to create a stylish and practical pool area:
- A pool deck or patio will call for different types of seating as it is used for lots of activities. Make sure you have chaise lounges to relax and enjoy the sun or rest after fun pool activities. Sling style chaise lounges are practical as they dry quickly and are durable around water and pool chemicals. There should also be comfortable upright seating for adults to keep an eye on the littles or just read a book. Again, the sling options are great and offer a lot of great styles. Hammocks, outdoor beanbag chairs and floor cushions are also available in practical outdoor fabrics and provide a relaxation style for everyone!
- If there is room, some people like to have a dining height table and chairs to serve snacks and drinks closer to the pool. Or perhaps a narrow counter height table to serve food and beverages will work instead. Side tables next to chaise lounges or lounge chairs are a necessity. Look for side tables that double as an umbrella stand. A super idea to offer shade and a spot to place a drink!
- Make sure there are shade options as well as sunny spots so everyone can be comfortable. A cantilever umbrella will provide shade for a larger seating or dining area. A fun option is to use several matching market style umbrellas placed around the pool deck or patio. This creates a resort feel to your outdoor space.
- If you are lucky enough to have a pool house or cabana, consider an outdoor rug to anchor a cozy seating or dining area.
- For those warm August evenings by the pool, there is nothing that sets the mood better than unique and practical lighting. There are many fun options available that include floating lights for the pool, table lamps and lanterns as well as strings of lights. The pricing is great for these well-designed outdoor lights. Remote controls allow you to set colours and light patterns. Some are solar and others have a USB charging cord included.
- If possible, carve out a little storage spot for your outdoor tableware and unbreakable drinkware. A great quality cooler or pretty ice bucket can keep your beverages cool and close at hand. Of course, an outdoor kitchen would be a dream and there are options for freestanding units available.