We are feeling the heat more each summer. The requests for shade solutions at Shop The Lake are becoming more frequent and complex. There are lots of options available and this can be a bit overwhelming. Here are some things to think about when you are looking for a shade solution for your outdoor space:
There are different categories of umbrellas, mainly divided into 2 groups – market umbrellas, which have a center pole, and cantilever umbrellas, which are offset.
A market umbrella can be placed at the center of a dining table with a hole, or can be freestanding.
- When selecting an umbrella to be set in a table, consider the size of your table with people seated. If an umbrella is not large enough, the shade will only cover the table and not the people.
- A rectangular umbrella works nicely with a rectangular table but if you prefer the look of a round shape, be sure it is generous.
- A freestanding umbrella can shade your lounge seating area but remember that the placement is important, as you may not want a pole in the middle of your conversation area. Multiple freestanding umbrellas placed strategically will work nicely when you have a group of chairs or between chaise lounges around a pool.
- The wind conditions of your outdoor space are a determining factor in the weight of the base you require. The windier the area, the heavier the base. Also, the size of the umbrella needs to be considered. The larger the umbrella, the heavier the base.
- An umbrella placed in a table may be able to get away with a slightly lighter base, as the table also helps stabilize it. Having said that, the amount of wind and size of the umbrella have to be considered.
Cantilever umbrellas are placed to one side of a space and the shade is provided by a hanging canopy.
- A cantilever umbrella is a great solution for shading a dining or conversation area without dealing with placement of the center pole. They are also available in larger sizes to provide shade over substantial spaces.
- Again, the size and shape are determined by personal preference, the shape of the area and the amount of shade required.
- Some cantilevers come with a specific base, and others offer the flexibility of choice. Again, the size of base cannot be decided by price alone. If a smaller less expensive base is elected but the area is windy or the umbrella is very large, accidents can happen. Wind will make any umbrella become a sail!
Pergolas are a great permanent shade solution. With posts attached to a deck or patio and slats providing shade, this solution is great for a permanent outdoor seating or dining area.
- At Shop The Lake we have a pergola which has adjustable slats providing flexibility in the amount of sun and shade provided.
- The aluminum structure is turdy and has rain gutters incorporated in the support posts.
- When the slats are closed, they provide shelter from a light rain.
- There are optional screens available to offer privacy or additional shade when the direction of the sun in the afternoon requires it.
- The 2 sizes available are 10’ x 10’ and 10’ x 13’.
Our staff at Shop The Lake are experienced in determining the best shade solution for your particular situation. Come in to see our large selection of shade options, or browse our options online here.