Fall signals the end of patio season for some or the beginning of cool weather outdoor entertaining for others. Regardless which camp you are in, there are some autumn chores that will help you enjoy your space now and also ease the Spring set up next year. Here are some tips for your Fall outdoor space cleanup.
- Clean off your market umbrellas on a sunny day. This may involve a quick dust off with a damp rag (make sure you open the folds of fabric) or a hose off if there are bird droppings and other accumulated dirt. Leave the umbrella open until fully dry before closing it up for storage. An umbrella cover is a nice idea to keep it protected while in storage.
- An umbrella base used under a table can stay in place and will be protected by the furniture cover or tarp you use to protect it over the winter. Freestanding bases should be moved to an area where they won’t be a tripping hazard in the off season.
- If you are not using your cushioned outdoor seating, spot clean and vacuum the cushions before storing them in dry protected space.
- We know how much you love your fire tables! Cushion furniture that will be used in the off season should be protected with a furniture cover between uses. Although good quality outdoor fabric is durable and can withstand the elements, protect your investment from the snow and bad weather between uses. A well-fitted cover will slip on and off easily and is worth the effort.
- Outdoor carpets used in an unprotected area should be hosed, vacuumed or shaken to remove dust and dirt before allowing to dry fully. Roll up and store in a dry location.
- Know your storage space: critters often nest in textiles. Your umbrella, furniture cushions or carpet may be very inviting. If this is the case, take precautions to protect your outdoor textiles.
- Using the appropriate cleaners, give your outdoor furniture a good dusting, wash or hose down. Cleaning now and using furniture covers for the winter will make your spring preparation so much easier and adds to the longevity of your furniture.
- Once all the furniture has been cleaned and covered, you can give the patio or deck a good sweep or power wash!
- If you will be using your outdoor space in the winter to enjoy a fire table or fire pit, you may want to consider rearranging the furniture to accommodate easy access and snow clearing. Perhaps reorienting the furniture away from the pool or garden and closer to the house will create a cozier more accessible area.
- Alternatively, if you do not use your outdoor space in the winter, you may want to move some of the furniture together to one side of the patio or deck to allow for clearing snow and also a nice winter view from inside the home.
Remember, spring will be back again before you know it! Taking the extra time now will not only protect your furniture but makes the chore so much easier when the time comes!